When the time comes to bid farewell to your old Boston apartment and embark on a new adventure, it’s essential to ensure you leave it in pristine condition. Cleaning your apartment before you move out is not just a courtesy; it’s a strategic move to secure your full security deposit refund. In many cases, landlords withhold deposits for insufficient cleaning, so investing a few hours of your time can translate into substantial savings. Think of it this way: How long would it take you to earn an amount equivalent to your security deposit at work? A week or even longer? Cleaning is a small price to pay for a full refund.
Let’s dive into a comprehensive checklist to guide you through the process of cleaning your Boston apartment effectively, ensuring you get your security deposit back. Start by creating a checklist to ensure you don’t overlook any crucial tasks.
Apartment Cleaning Checklist:
1. Clean the Walls: Landlords often inspect the condition of the walls when tenants move out. Clean them thoroughly to remove dirt and grime. Most walls are painted with durable eggshell paint, so cleaning should not damage the surface. If you have any doubts, consult your landlord for recommended cleaning products.
2. Remove Nails and Spackle Holes: Take down any nails or hooks you added for decorations and use a rubber band to protect the walls from scratches. Remember to spackle any holes you made to restore the wall’s smooth appearance.
3. Clean Inside Kitchen Cabinets: Beyond cleaning the exterior, don’t forget to clean the inside of your kitchen cabinets. Remove shelf liners and give them a good scrub. Pay attention to the insides of cabinet doors; landlords often check there too.
4. Clean the Inside of Kitchen Appliances: Focus on cleaning the interior of your kitchen appliances, especially the stove/oven. Create a paste using baking soda and water to clean the oven. For the refrigerator, use baking soda and vinegar to remove odors and stains.
5. Empty and Clean Closets: Remove all your belongings from the closets. Leaving items behind could result in deductions from your deposit. Ensure the closets are completely empty and clean the rods and shelves.
6. Touch-Up Markings and Scratches: Walk through your apartment and touch up any visible markings or scratches. For scuff marks on wood floors, use a tennis ball with a hole in it to gently scrub them away. Minor scratches on surfaces can be concealed with matching paint or markers, but consult your landlord to ensure compatibility.
7. Clean Windows and Window Treatments: Clean your windows using a glass cleaner and newspaper to avoid leaving fibers behind. Dust and clean blinds, drapes, or louvers to ensure they are in good condition.
8. Vacuum and Clean Carpets: To secure your full security deposit, vacuum the carpets thoroughly. If there are stains, clean the rugs using appropriate stain removers. Some vacuums come with carpet-cleaning capabilities, which can be beneficial.
In conclusion, a well-executed cleaning routine can significantly impact your security deposit refund. However, for all your real estate needs in Boston, consider utilizing ACBRealty, Inc. Real estate portal at ACBRealtyInc.com offers not only a comprehensive search tool but also a wealth of tips, tools, and valuable information. ACBRealty, Inc is your go-to resource for all things related to Boston real estate, catering to renters, buyers, sellers, landlords, property owners, property managers, and real estate agents. If you’re searching for a one-stop real estate source, your quest ends with ACBRealty, Inc. Welcome to ACBRealty, Inc!